Saturday, March 26, 2011

Chapter One: Another Tries To Get Close

I don't really talk. I don't see the need to. No one is worth my time and when someone isn't worth your time, what don't you do? Talk.

"Taci!" the teacher, Miss Gramond said. "What is the answer to number four?"

I looked at my book and returned a blank stare with my golden eyes. Slowly, I rose my hand and signed the number six. She rolled her eyes, but accepted it. She knew that I would not cooperate. There would be no way that she would get me to. She had sent me to the office several times, but I would not talk. I had detention numerous times. They had talked to my mother, I had been threatened, but... my grades were fine. They couldn't make me talk as long as I signed.

"Why don't you talk? Are you stupid?" a boy next to me whispered. His name was Richard. He was on the football team and some girls thought of him as "hot". If he had tortured them like this, they would have panicked.

I rolled my eyes and ignored him.

"You must be. You aren't deaf, so you must be an idiot," he and his buddies laughed.

Sighing, I looked out the window. I had better things to do like a root canal or ripping off all my toenails one by one. Any of that would be better than high school math. I hated Sophomore year. It was worse than anything I could have imagined. I didn't know why I was there in the first place. I didn't need high school... Quite literally...

The bell rang and I headed off to my English class. At least there the teacher ignored me. I thought she ignored me at least. Or maybe she respected me. I didn't know. She just didn't talk to me and obviously I didn't talk to her.

Today, when I sat down, a new boy sat down next to me. I made a point not to look at him, hoping he would get the hint.

"Hi, my name is Harley," he said. His hair was darker than any night I had seen. "What's your name?"

Apparently someone hadn't received the memo. I ignored him and looked out the window at the rain pouring down. Rainy weather had always been my favorite. It was so depressing. It was fitting for me. Just... wonderful, right?

"Hello? Did you hear me?"

I whirled around and glared at him to show him that yes, in fact, I did hear him, I just didn't want to talk to him... At all. Now, did he get it?

"So, what's your name?"

Ugh, people like him got on my nerves. Harley, was it? This kid had made my list. His green eyes were the color of a rainforest and could probably make any girl swoon. Any girl but me, of course. I inwardly smirked at my small joke. This guy was going to get nowhere if he planned on hitting on me.

"I'm new. Do you think you could show me around?" Harley asked kindly.

Oh, so he's the sweet type. I absolutely hated those. I shuddered. Why couldn't he be mean? Those types were just so easy to brush off. The nice ones were always so hard to get rid of.

"Hello?"

"Oh, she doesn't talk," Richard butted in from the other side of him.

Harley stared at his hulking figure, "She... she doesn't? Is there something wrong?"

Richard shrugged, "No one knows. She just sits there. We think shes stupid. Isn't that right, guys?"

There was a cheer of agreement from behind him and some laughter.

"You should sit with us," Richard smiled. "You seem like you'd fit in."

Harley shook his head, "I don't think so. You aren't very nice to... uh... this girl. I don't think she deserves it. And I don't think she's stupid at all. Actually, I think she's smart. You should give her a chance."

Richard gave out a big belly laugh. I rolled my eyes. Boys were ridiculous. This is why I wasn't part of their realm.

"I guess I was wrong about you. You belong with her. Have fun with your girlfriend," Richard taunted.

Harley scoffed, "He acts like he's in third grade."

Yeah, Harley... he's way too nice. Too nice for his own good. Harley, poor, poor boy. You should not have stood up for me. You really shouldn't have. You will not get anywhere with me. I am a Loner. I talk to no one. Nice boy, you try to find someone nice, you hear? I smiled. Of course he couldn't hear. I would never say any of this out loud.

"Please tell me your name," he begged.

I pointed to the heading on my paper.

"Taci? That's pretty," Harley smiled. "I've never heard that one before. Don't worry, I'll make sure Richard never bothers you again."

Too bad... Richard's meanness keeps everything balanced. Harley, you're too nice. Please don't be nice to me.

Harley scooted his chair closer to me when the teacher announced that we needed partners for our next exercise.

"Will you by my partner?" he asked.

I looked at him warily, but nodded. No one else ever asked and I was always alone. Besides, he would do all the work himself. I could tell. Harley was just too nice. He was that kind of person. Oh Harley, you shouldn't... Someone could take advantage of you. Someone like me.

"One day, you will talk to me," Harley smiled as he wrote our names at the top of our papers.

I shook my head with a sad smile. I talked to no one.

"You'd be surprised how determined I am. I don't give up easily," Harley said. "I'm very, very stubborn."

I'm stubborn, too. I've made teachers cry.

"I'll get you to talk... even if it's a whisper."

Yeah, right.

"Taci... I'll find out your secret," Harley said seriously.

Wait... how did he know I was hiding something? I'm just quiet, I didn't say I was hiding something... I didn't say anything. I didn't do anything suspicious other than not talk. But maybe that was suspicious enough?

"No one does anything this extreme without a reason. One day, I will get this reason out of you, even if you have to whisper it to me," Harley beamed.

2 comments:

  1. Me LOVED IT ME REALLY REALLY DID AND I <3 th hname Taci it is so cute!!! Harley seems nice too and I wonder if she actually does have a secret? she might? I hope a fling starts happening between Harley and her :o) UPLOAD MORE SOON U AUSSOME WRITER
    KEEP WRITING
    LOVE UR SISTA
    HHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEYYYY

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That is really really really AWESOME! Off to read the next chapter! :)

    ReplyDelete